Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Kitten Condo



When I am away I keep my kittens in a 42 inch kennel. Here are some ideas and tips I use for setting up their kennel... 

Spoiler Alert- Finished Product!
First I lay down a bath towel. I get my towels from Walmart- only about $3 each. They have all kinds of colors (I like to use bright happy colors!) and they hold up well in the wash. 

In the back I have their sleeping area. I have a cat bed from I got from Walgreens (about $13) and I put a comfy fleece blanket on top. My favorite blankets for this are Serta brand from Walmart ($4.99). They're really soft and stay soft after washing. 
 I also have a little kitty hut (I call it their hobbit hole) that I will put in the back for their bed too. I've had some kittens that don't like sleeping inside the hut so I use the bed for them instead.

Welcome to the Hobbit Hole!
Finished Product with the Hobbit Hole


 I always put some "cuddle toys" in the bed with them. I found some adorable Martha Stewert dog toys from PetSmart for only $1 with PetPerks card. All of my foster kittens have loved cuddling with them. I can even wash them with their blankets and towels!

Aren't  they cute!

Then I put a couple toys on the floor in the middle of the kennel. This is their mini play area while in the kennel. I use soft toys that don't make noise (kittens like to play in the middle of the night!). I also have a scratching post that hangs on the side of the kennel and a couple toys hanging off the top and side of the kennel (you can add a string to any toy and tie to the bars). 

Love this scratcher! Just uses twistie ties to hang on the side of the kennel!


At the very front of the kennel is the potty and eating station. I have a litter mat down in the front of the kennel (Arm & Hammer litter mat from Walmart-- its awesome at trapping litter!) with their litter box. I just use a cheap litter box and put a liner in it with litter. I always used a liner-- it makes cleanup so much easier!
 Next to it is a food mat with their water and food dishes. I like to have 2 water bowls and 2 food dishes (If I have at least 2 kittens). I found one bowl that actually attaches to the side of the kennel (Petco). 

Food and Potty Station!


So that's basically how I set up my kitten condo. I'd love to hear other ideas and tips for the perfect kennel! I'm still new at this so I definitely welcome advice! 


No comments:

Post a Comment