Saturday, August 30, 2014

Kitten Playground

The second anyone walks into my apartment it is obvious I have kittens. My living room is often referred to as the "Kitten Playground." I often say the apartment really belongs to them and Merlin and I just pay the rent. Now, I know it can be hard to imagine your home overrun by cat toys, but it's really not that bad. If I can do it in my tiny 450 sq ft apartment anyone can!

I have a couple bigger toys in "kitten playground" that are typically always there and then a toy box with smaller toys.



 I have collected lots of toys through hand-me-downs from my own cat (I spoil him with toys that he never ends up playing with), my parents kittens, and cheap toys I find while shopping (more detail about those on Cat Toy Tuesdays!). I have even used boxes from packages I receive (those are sometimes their favorite). 
The key to toys and a kitten playground is to rotate toys and change it up! Kittens love to explore and play with new things. It keeps them interested and thinking. I like to have toys that get them to climb and jump, too. But the biggest thing i recommend is lots and lots of scratchers. One of the biggest complaints in kittens is scratching carpet and furniture. I provide my kittens with lots of scratching options. A variety of  horizontal and vertical scratchers and different textures is key. I have had a lot of success with kittens using scratchers instead of the carpet and furniture. 

So have fun with creating a kitten playground! I love finding new things and new ways of designing mine. Just remember to keep a good variety!


1 comment:

  1. I love that you recommend both horizontal and vertical scratching posts! That is key. My cat, Grease, has that 3-way tunnel you have in the picture and absolutely loves it! Your living room looks like a blast!!

    ReplyDelete